Breastfeeding resources for health care providers
Standards and guidelines
- Core Competencies in Breastfeeding Care and Services (U.S. Breastfeeding Committee).
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Protocols: Guidelines for the care of breastfeeding mothers and infants.
- Getting It Right report.
Online and self-paced training.
- 4th Trimester Project: A Critical Transition - Dr Alison Stuebe, MD, MSc, FACOG.
- Breastfeeding Update - Three hour training for medical professionals (Baby-Friendly).
- Breastfeeding training sources.
- International Lactation Consultant Association course providers directory: Search Directory of Course Providers.
- Healthy Children’s Center for Breastfeeding Lactation Counselor certificate course.
- Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association Lactation Educator 20-hour course.
- Lactation Journal Club, meets monthly in Denver.
- Lactation Exam Review.
Position and policy statements
- Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on breastfeeding and human milk.
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine position on breastfeeding.
- Family physicians position on supporting breastfeeding.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- American College of Nurse-Midwives position statement on breastfeeding.
- National Association of Neonatal Nurses position statement.
- American Public Health Association.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative.
- Colorado Can Do 5!
- Colorado Hospital self-assessment.
- Medications and human milk.
- National Institute of Health Drugs and Medications Database.
- University of Rochester Lactation Study Line: 585-275-0088 (inquiries from health professionals only).
- Thomas Hale’s Breastfeeding and Medication Forum (for health care professionals).