New! More Formula Options and Larger Sizes Temporarily Available.
Due to the nationwide formula shortage, you may not find the Enfamil formula that your baby usually takes in the 12-ounce can size. In response to this, a USDA waiver makes it possible for Colorado WIC to temporarily allow you to use your eWIC card at the store to purchase:
- Larger can sizes of powdered Enfamil Infant, Enfamil Gentlease, Enfamil Reguline, Enfamil AR, and Enfamil Prosobee to help you find formula at the store. Please note: Powdered formula can sizes that are 27 ounces or larger count as two cans on your food benefits, and two cans will be subtracted from your benefits.
- If you can’t find any powdered Enfamil formula at the store but concentrate or ready-to-use are available, contact your WIC office to have your benefits changed to get the concentrate or ready-to-use of the same Enfamil formula.
- A similar type of formula from another brand if you can’t find the Enfamil formula your baby needs on store shelves. For example, if your baby receives Enfamil Infant, which is a cow’s milk-based formula, you can purchase a comparable formula from another brand. Scan the product with your WICShopper App to confirm before checking out at the register.
For a complete list of formula container sizes and different formula brands you can use your eWIC card to purchase click here. Your eWIC card already has these options available and you do not need to contact your local WIC office to update your food benefits.
Formula Shopping Tips:
- Since these changes are only temporary, purchase the Enfamil formula you usually buy when possible. Especially as stores are able to restock Enfamil formulas.
- Buy only 1-2 cans if you are trying a new formula to make sure your baby doesn’t have any issues before buying more. Contact your pediatrician if you have any concerns about your baby's health and nutrition.
- Use the WICShopper app to help you purchase formula options available to you on the COWIC program.
- When shopping, if you have a problem or the formula doesn’t come off your eWIC card as expected, ask the cashier to remove it. WIC is not able to repay you for formula you choose to buy with another payment.
Click here for answers to common questions, shopping tips, and more regarding the formula shortage and recall of certain Similac formulas.
If you are a health care provider, please click here for additional information.